My $0.02, and sorry if this is redundant:

- I am no longer comfortable with sourceforge.

- Free Software should be hosted by a charitable non-profit (501c3) that
  has advancing Free Software as a substantial part of its mission.
  That does not include github :-)

- I agree that self-hosting is too painful.

- Mailinglists are necessary, as are areas to put release tarballs.  I
  think it's unhelpful of github to run projects and provide neither of
  these.

- I tend to recommend savannah.nongnu.org, which has repos, bugtrackers,
  and lists, and is run by FSF.  I've been involved with quagga that has
  migrated to savannah, and it's been reasonable.