> #define _XOPEN_SOURCE

Simply removing it is the best option, as it compiles and runs on Linux OK
without this line.
I've no idea why it was put in, but the line originates from the initial code
creation back in 2005.
Some background on this define:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5378778/what-does-d-xopen-source-do-mean

So as Viking doesn't use strdup() directly (it uses g_<func>() versions when
available), any usage (or attempt thereof) of _XOPEN_SOURCE is unnecessary.
Even in the very first version of gpx.c, strdup() was not used.

Admittedly I always wondered a little about this define really meant/what it
was used for, but never bothered to investigate further as it appeared to
'work'.

PS. Thanks as always for your pkgsrc efforts