In configure, we patch

  $(INTLTOOL_V_MERGE)_it_tmp_dir=tmp.intltool.$$RANDOM

  $(INTLTOOL_V_MERGE)_it_tmp_dir=tmp.intltool.not-random

$RANDOM is a bashism not specified by POSIX, and not available in a
number of shells.  (It is available in NetBSD's /bin/sh, but pkgsrc has
a bunch of portability checks because pkgsrc does not require that a
platforms /bin/sh have anything beyond what POSIX requires.)

I'd suggest changing to

  $(INTLTOOL_V_MERGE)_it_tmp_dir=tmp.intltool.viking.$$$$

I have not tested; I am guessing this passes $$ to the shell after make
quoting.

That should be enough not to collide, even if there are multiple viking
builds happening at once.