Robert Norris <rw_nor...@hotmail.com> writes:

> The projection is done based on the zone at the center position.
>
> The zone is for the east<->west, whereas the designation letter is the
> latitude band, being 8 degrees wide, which Viking currently shows as part of
> the UTM readout.
>
> This use of the from screen position is most likely for the UTM
> position readout of the mouse pointer location, so when viewing on a
> sufficiently zoomed out manner (e.g. around country / US state levels)
> the coverage will cross these bands.

What I meant is that looking at projected coordinates (screen position)
in a scheme like this, one will get values in the same zone as the
center.  These are valid, but are not necessarily the values that would
be obtained by converting to geodetic and back, choosing a zone anew.

Either approach seems legitimate in terms of display.