> > > I don't see how rebuilding a .spl file can make spelling much
> > > slower. Please give a specific example.  How do you notice
> > > spelling becomes slow?  Does the .spl file size change a lot?
> >
> > I mean, the distribution provides a en spell file (for utf8).
> > I create a new one, using mkspell, that goes in my ~/.vim/spell/
> > directory.
> >
> > after doing that, spell autocompletion is *very* slow.
>
> Try doing ":spelldump".  Does it mention using BOTH files perhaps?

no it does not.

> Apparently you are not talking about spell checking but about finding
> suggestions.  That is a big difference!  Please describe your
> problems exactly, otherwise you are causing confusion.

oh yes, you're right, I was speaking of spell suggestions.

> > I've assumed that the slowness was because I
> > had /usr/share/vim/vimcurrent/spell/en.utf-8.spl (from the
> > distribution) and the one in my .vim/spell/en.utf-8.spl
> >
> > both are roughly the same size. When I suppress
> > the .vim/spell/en.utf-8.spl one, all goes fast again.
>
> You didn't make a .sug file perhaps?  That is used to speed up making
> suggestions.

correct, that was not mentionned in :mkspell help, and the en-US
dictionnary .aff file I used had a "NOSUGGEST !" line.
though, removing the line and running :mkspell again does not help, and
I don't know how to generate a .sub file, nothing in vim help says
that.

for the record, I used [1] dictionnary for that. I seem to have the same
problem for my french spell file I generated from [2], whereas it never
had a NOSUGGEST mention.

[1] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openoffice.org-dictionaries/myspell-en-us_2.0.2-3_all.deb
[2] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/ifrench/myspell-fr_1.4-20_all.deb
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]