On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 at 2:26pm, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2006-04-13, Charles E Campbell Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
> >
> > > This is exactly the reason, I didn't suspect this at all. I had netrw in
> > > my plugin directory for use with 6.3 Vim. Now, how do I make sure I can
> > > use the same plugin directory for both 6.3 and 7.0? I think the
> > > g:loaded_xxx variable should be different for these two so that we can
> > > control them independently.  Since it took the role of explorer plugin
> > > in 7.0, how about using the loaded_explorer instead of loaded_netrw in
> > > 7.0 (unless there is a better solution)?
>
> > Bottom line: there's no point.  Netrw, now a vim 7.0 autoload-using
> > plugin, just isn't compatible with 6.x.
> > Attempts to use vim 6.x with 7.0-plugins is going to result in lots of
> > errors.
>
> In light of that, is there a preferred method for using both 6.x and
> 7.x plugins, for those of use who will be using both versions for
> possibly quite a while?  My thought was to create two new .vim
> directories, ~/.vim_6_only and ~/.vim_7_only, for those plugins that
> will work with only one version or the other.  Then put this in your
> ~/.vimrc
>
>     if v:version >= 700
>         let &rtp = "$HOME/.vim_7_only," . &rtp . ",$HOME/.vim_7_only/after"
>     else
>         let &rtp = "$HOME/.vim_6_only," . &rtp . ",$HOME/.vim_6_only/after"
>     endif
>
> Gary

Yep, this was my question too. I think your suggestion is good, though
it would require continuous reorganization. Say, you are using plugin X
which is currently designed for 6.3, but is forward compatible to 7.0,
so you would keep it in you plugin directory. Later the author releases
improved version which is only compatible with 7.0, which means, you
have to move the existing file to under .vim_6_only/plugin and then put
the new file .vim_7_only/plugin. Hopefully the issue is limited to only
during the transition between two versions, or it will become a pain.

--
Thanks,
Hari