Hello,

I am author of (x)html completion scripts and related (php, css,
javascript). I'd like to ask what you think it should like.

At the beginning I was pushing for one default: XHTML 1.0 Strict. Bram
didn't like it and now there are two: fot &ft='html' HTML 4.01
Transitional and for &ft=='xhtml' XHTML 1.0 Strict (user can still
choose another version with b:html_omni_flavor variable - this
improvement may be not yet in snapshot/cvs/svn). Bram still doesn't like
it. According for him completion should be more flexible and not limited
to some standard. For me it defies whole idea of omni-completion
- completion suggestions should be precise. Problem with (X)HTML is
there are many standards but creation of messy compilation from
them has no sense. Vim is superb program and should support writing of
good code - according to standards.

To make this support full it could look:

- provide data files for most of (X)HTML standards:

  - HTML 3.2 Strict (for legacy pages)
  - HTML 4.0 Transitional
  - HTML 4.0 Strict
  - HTML 4.0 Frameset
  - HTML 4.01 Transitional
  - HTML 4.01 Strict
  - HTML 4.01 Frameset
  - XHTML 1.0 Transitional
  - XHTML 1.0 Strict
  - XHTML 1.0 Frameset
  - XHTML 1.1

That is 11 data files, ca. 45kB each (5kB packed) - total 500 kB (55kB)

Add functions for detection of DOCTYPE to ftplugins for xhtml and html.

Still there is usability problem for creation of new files. Maybe some
general completion for insertion of DOCTYPE and setting appropriately
completion.

TIA for comments.

m.