On Sat 29-Apr-06 3:49pm -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> There are two setups, the Unix one and the MS-Windows one.
>
> If you use the Unix setup you need to do "make install".  Thus uses the
> files in the ../runtime directory that were unpacked from the Unix tar
> archive.
>
> If you use the MS-Windows setup you should unpack the vim70xxrt.zip
> file, which puts the runtime files below the src directory, without a
> runtime directory.  Then you can use the install.exe.

The problem with this is that there is only one current beta
and that is the the unix form of the Vim tree.

Even if I copy my executables to runtime\, install complains
with:

    [c:\vim\vim70f\runtime]install
    This program sets up the installation of Vim 7.0f BETA

    ERROR: Install program not in directory "vim70f"
    This program can only work when it is located in its
    original directory

The solutions provided by Suresh Govindachar and Georg Dahn
both appear to work, but involve copying the contents of
runtime\ on top of vim70.f\ (which should produce some
pretty ugly results when CVS is back again :-)

I was hoping there was a simple way of enabling dosinst.c to
work with the unix tree.

Since Alpha and Beta versions have worked just fine without
installing, and there are no patches to apply to the older
vim7 files that are are available, I'll just not "install"
until the release and subsequent patch releases.

Thanks to Suresh, Georg and you for your comments.

--
Best regards,
Bill