I'm using Frugalware x86-64 as my Linux distro on my server machine.

For some reason, "gvim" (compiled with --enable-features=big) has a very
strange redraw problem, which is that it doesn't properly redraw the
screen if the vim window is obscured, and requires ^L to redraw.

The problem also seems to manifest itself when doing any colon command, in
that the first word on the command line shows up, but subsequent words are
not drawn visibly (though they are there).

A further problem is that the fonts are ragged rather than smooth.

The same vim (e.g. compiled from the same source) on my Frugalware x86
32-bit on my laptop works fine.

So I don't know if there is some strangeness about the distro or whether
there may be a 64bit linux problem.

Does anyone have ideas on how to narrow down the problem?