Mathias Michaelis wrote:

> >> Patch
> >> Problem:    IMHO .pdb files should reside in the same directory as the
> >>             corresponding .exe files so they can be distributet along
> >>             with them.
> >> Solution:   Change one line within src/Make_mvc.mak
> >> Files:      src/Make_mvc.mak
> >>
> > This doesn't matter for the distribution, the .pdb file can be moved
> > around after generating it.  It might matter for when you want to run
> > Vim right after compiling it.  I haven't tried it.
> >
> Of course: If the pdb file is created in a subdirectory OBJGO, then
> you must move this directory when ever you move the corresponding
> Vim .EXE file. Thus, if you have gvim, gvimd, vim and vimd in your
> $VIMRUNTIME directory, you need four(!) subdirectories named
> "OBJ..." there, each of them containing only one file: the
> corresponding .PDB file.
>
> Otherwise, you can't debug the executables without first guide your
> debugger to the location where the corresponding .pdb file is stored.

Do you mean that the subdirectory is stored in the executable?

> And yes: the .PDB are not needed for a distribution. But this is no
> reason to hide these files in some subdirectories. Maybe, someone
> wants to copy these files in the same $VIMRUNTIME directory as the
> executable files. Or even wants to create his own distribution that
> contains these files -- as Antoine Mechelynck contributed the
> debugging executables vimd.exe and gvimd.exe at the times when he
> compiled Vim.
>
> This is why I plead to make this patch an official one :-)

The reason to put the .pdb file, and any other generated files, in a
subdirectory is to keep the source directory clean.  And to have a
different subdirectory for the various versions.

--
ARTHUR:    Well, it doesn't matter.  Will you go and tell your master that
           Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.