mwoehlke wrote:
I found a really annoying problem trying to build VIM 7 on HP-UX. I have an automated script that builds VIM as part of a toolchain. It ran through, and to my surprise and annoyance, installed VIM in /usr/local instead of where I wanted it.

Long story short, the script called 'configure', which failed because it isn't (for some reason I have not yet figured out) finding the ncurses I built (--with-tlib=ncurses). Now, '<root>/configure' calls 'src/configure' which calls 'src/auto/configure'... but the exit status is not preserved AT EITHER STEP. As a result, my script thinks 'configure' succeeded and moves on to 'make', which RE-runs 'configure' with default parameters, succeeds, and ultimately allows the script to move on to 'make install'!

THIS IS BAD! The indirect 'configure' scripts need to preserve the exit status.

The fix, which is trivial, I leave as an exercise.

Otherwise, having a VIM with working highlighting and WORKING KEYS on the almost-half-dozen platforms I work on is wonderful. :-) Even if I've only managed builds for four of them so far...

Answer to the exercise: set the appropriate environment variables so that when make runs configure, it will use whatever configure options you want to apply. Then you can do without a separate configure step (or use "make config" if you absolutely want one).

For instance, just before I make Vim on my Linux platform, I have the shell source (not run) the following script:

#!/bin/bash
export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gnome-check'
export CONF_OPT_PERL='--enable-perlinterp'
export CONF_OPT_PYTHON='--enable-pythoninterp'
export CONF_OPT_TCL='--enable-tclinterp --with-tcl=tclsh8.4'
export CONF_OPT_RUBY='--enable-rubyinterp'
export CONF_OPT_MZSCHEME='--enable-mzschemeinterp'
export CONF_OPT_CSCOPE='--enable-cscope'
export CONF_OPT_MULTIBYTE='--enable-multibyte'
export CONF_OPT_OUTPUT='--enable-fontset'
export CONF_OPT_FEAT='--with-features=huge'
export CONF_OPT_COMPBY='"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"'

If configure options have been changed, or packages upgraded, I also use

        cd src
        make reconfig > ../make.log
        cd ..

Some of my "enables" are not found, and Vim gets compiled with them disabled (e.g., I get -python) but those that don't get found are rather unimportant to me.

Best regards,
Tony.