which, on version 7.0, is $VIM/vim70 -- should.)

From :h starting

    Recommended place for your personal initializations:
        MS-DOS and Win32    $HOME/_vimrc or $VIM/_vimrc

I use the second choice.

In an office environment I do use the $home directory for
all personalizations.  But at home, I find it more
convenient to not do this - nor do I rely on automatic
assignment of $home (this can lead to using embedded spaces
inside directory or filenames - an offense worthy of Gitmo
:)

My _vimrc contains:

    set runtimepath=$vimfiles,$vimruntime,$vimfiles\\after

(I don't know where you got the idea that $vim was in there)
where:

    let $vimfiles = $vim . '\vimfiles'

is defined at the top of the file.

I didn't; except you mentioned as a kind of "justification" that $HOME wasn't in it.

Best regards,
Tony.