--- "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To draw ASCII figures within an area of text, I suggest
> Virtual-Replace
> mode (see ":help gR" and ":help Virtual-Replace-mode") with
> 'virtualedit' set to "all".

I tried the V-R mode and found it very useful, thanks!

> To be able to swap lines within a visual block, I suggest:
> 1. delete the block
> 2. put it after the end of the file
> 3. edit it there
> 4. mark it again, blockwise, and check that the block is still
> rectangular
> 5. delete, then put it back where it belongs.

These are the steps I tried to avoid.

> Vim treats each line as an entity: swapping lines is basically (IIUC)
>
> just pointer manipulation. Treating a blockwise selection as if it
> were
> a file without moving it might be something else altogether. Now what

I see.

I had to ask, in case Vim were structured in a way that makes this
feature
easy.

The difficulty I see that calls for within-block-editing is when a
small part
of a complex picture needs to be re-done. To do it without affecting
other
part of the figure is cumbersome. Now Virtual-Replace mode is all fine
when one starts to create a picture, but one cannot use any Normal-mode
commands there, nor can he copy-and-paste.

> might be feasible in Vim-script (and maybe Dr. Chip has already done
> it,
> I haven't checked) would be a mapping which would extract the current
>
> block selection to a separate Vim window so you could edit it in its
> own
> buffer; and another mapping to close the auxiliary window and
> reinsert
> the modified text where it came from.

I haven't looked hard enough, maybe. But since it is possible in
scripts
as you've described, I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks.
Wei