On 8/9/06, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nikolai Weibull wrote:
[...]
> That's the conclusion I reached as well, but the thing is that the C
> syntax has [EMAIL PROTECTED] as well, but doesn't cause any problems.
>
>  nikolai

Well, then you may have to compare the various syntax scripts
($VIMRUNTIME/xml.vim, $VIMRUNTIME/c.vim, possibly also
$VIMRUNTIME/php.vim...) with the docs as reference in a split window.

Mm, done that.  However, nothing worth mentioning turned up.

Ruby has the following:

syn match   rubyComment       "#.*"
contains=rubySharpBang,rubySpaceError,rubyTodo,@Spell
syn region  rubyDocumentation start="^=begin" end="^=end.*$"
contains=rubySpaceError,rubyTodo,@Spell fold

And xml has the following:

syn region  xmlString contained start=+"+ end=+"+
contains=xmlEntity,@Spell display
syn region  xmlString contained start=+'+ end=+'+
contains=xmlEntity,@Spell display

The inclusion of syntax/ruby.vim is fine, but the inclusion of
syntax/xml.vim breaks.

C has this:

syn region    cString         start=+L\="+ skip=+\\\\\|\\"+ end=+"+
contains=cSpecial,@Spell

which corresponds very closely to the xml one.  In fact, if one
removes all syntax items in xml.vim that contain @Spell, it works
fine.  However, if the syn region cString is placed in the xml.vim
file it breaks.  Isn't that strange?  I'm totally not following this.

 nikolai