nice madcoding :)
work in bash, but not tcsh.
Thanks anyway: I learned something new from it

On 8/21/06, Pierre Habouzit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Le lun 21 août 2006 17:31, Christian MICHON a écrit :
> which was the logical conclusion I also came too!
> Thanks for confirming :)
>
> I now proceed thru a shell script to checkout previous
> version and perform gvimdiff asynchronously to git.

in decent shells you can do:

(g)vimdiff \
 <(cat $FILE | (git diff $REV -- $FILE | patch -Rs -o /dev/stdout)) \
 $FILE

$FILE beeing the file you need to vimdiff and $REV the orginal revision.

 ->> cat $FILE | (git diff $REV -- $FILE | patch -Rs -o /dev/stdout)

that stanza is just a way to obtain the state of $FILE at revision $REV.
I may have overlooked sth and maybe there is a "trivial" git command
that can do that, if that's true, then you just need to:

 vimdiff <(git that-command $REV $FILE) $FILE

that should work in bash 3+ and zsh of any decent version (like in 4.x I
guess).
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Christian