[EMAIL PROTECTED] 寫:
"A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 写于 2006-09-26 08:35:38:
I don't know about reverting to 6.4 but it's always a tradeoff between
features and speed.

Best regards,
Tony.

My experience is that the feature does not affect running speed too much.
Only for startup speed.

I'd compared my Vim7 and Vim64, only the startup is slower for Vim7, and
when Vim is up and running, no noticable speed difference...

If he just feel slow when opening file inside Vim, then IMO it makes little
difference reducing any Vim features like X11...

If some of the plugin could be disabled, then it does make difference IMO.
Since plugin scripts runs much slower than Vim executable itself.

--
Sincerely, Pan, Shi Zhu. ext: 2606

I've heard X11 can make a big difference at Vim startup (not once Vim is loaded) when it's not possible to connect with an X server: when an X-enabled Vim (with or without GUI) is loaded, it tries to make contact with the X clipboard. If there is no X server running, or if loaded in a terminal like /dev/tty which cannot reach the X server, Vim waits for a timeout before deciding that it won't be using X11 this time. To avoid that timeout, then when no X server is available, either load Vim as "vim -X", or use a non-X-aware console version.

Personally, I am using a Vim 7 version with as many features as I could lay hands on (huge Gnome2 GUI, +perl +python +ruby +tcl), and I notice no undue slowness, except of course on really huge files (e.g. a version of the Unicode "Unihan.txt" to which I'm currently adding some data "for my personal use only": that particular file has more than one million lines) where searching-and-not-finding, searching in the wrong direction (with wrap from bottom to top or vice-versa), and also writing, can take tens of seconds. But I suppose that on a slower machine, on one with less "live" memory, or with a less patient user ;-), eliminating unneeded features might make more of a difference than on my machine, or maybe on yours.

Best regards,
Tony.