Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

At patchlevel 125 (123-124-125 newly patched), "make reconfig" and "make distclean" both fail as follows (beware of "mailer beautification": all lines from GUI_INC_LOC= (included) to --enable-mzschemeinterp (excluded) end in a backslash):

Starting make in the src directory.
If there are problems, cd to the src directory and run make there

I don't know how you start this, but you apparently didn't do "make
distclean" in the "src" directory.

I invoked it in the top directory, and the only rule it executed there was

        cd src && $(MAKE) $@

No variables set at that point.

It's possible that when the timestamp of src/auto/configure changes the
scripts get confused a bit.  The current autoconf implementation isn't
very user friendly when it comes to patching.

I don't think I can do anything to avoid this.  "make distclean" works
fine for me and doesn't run configure first.

It works fine for me too, _except_ when the configure source files have just been patched (as by patch 7.0.123) and the configure output files are older.

I suspect the configure run happens because "make distclean" is trying to "make" the auto/config.mk which is to be "included" at line 289 of src/Makefile (note: "make" is a two-pass process). I suggest the "distclean" target rules (at least) be moved to the top Makefile in order to avoid including config.mk when making that target.

Best regards,
Tony.