Nicolas Weber wrote:

> > Patch 7.0.138 (extra)
> > Problem:    Mac: modifiers don't work with function keys.
> > Solution:   Use GetEventParameter() to obtain modifiers. (Nicolas
> > Weber)
> > Files:          src/gui_mac.c
>
> thanks for including this. Sadly, I just found another problem caused
> by this patch: Mappings on characters which need the meta/option/alt
> (whatever you call it) modifier pressed no longer work (for
> example, :map ç j does no longer work).
>
> The reason is this: I have to press alt-c on my keyboard to generate
> a 'ç' character. But the new keyboard handler sends the alt modifier
> along with the 'ç' character to vim which seems to lead to confusion
> (interestingly, :map <m-ç> j doesn't work either).
>
> The old version had no problems with this, because the old version
> only sent modifiers to vim if the command key was pressed (so :map <d-
> ç> j doesn't work in the old version either).
>
> I think the correct solution is to send only modifiers to vim that
> are not needed to generate a character. I'll write a fix for this
> problem.
>
> I don't think this is serious enough to back out this patch, but
> that's something Bram has to decide :-P

It's a pity that this is so difficult to get right.

Doesn't Mac have something equivalent to XLookupString()?  You can see
in gui_x11.c, gui_x11_key_hit_cb() how it's used there to figure out
what modifiers to pass.

Hopefully you can send me a fix for this soon.

--
"I simultaneously try to keep my head in the clouds and my feet on the
ground.  Sometimes it's a stretch, though."              -- Larry Wall