Hi Bram,

On 10/23/06, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can try the attached patch against the latest Vim7 sources.
> The syntax of the new function is:
>
>             setbufline({expr}, {lnum}, {line})
>
> where, {expr} specifies the loaded buffer name/number, {lnum} specifies
> a valid line number in that buffer and {line} is either a single line
> or a List of lines.
>
> Note. The patch also includes the new gettabvar() and settabvar()
> functions.

It looks like after this patch, if you change lines in another buffer
some marks in the current window will be moved.  Especially the
jumplist, perhaps setting cmdmod.lockmarks would help.

I tried to reproduce this problem using the new setbufline()
function. The jumplist for the current buffer is not affected
while changing the contents of another loaded buffer using
the setbufline() function. Is there any specific sequence that
needs to be followed to see this problem?

The '< and '> marks are probably moved.  Manual folds might be moved.

I couldn't reproduce the above problems also. The manual folds
and the visual area marks for the current buffer are not changed
by setbufline().

There may also be redrawing problems.

I didn't see any redraw problems. Are you referring to redraw
problems in the current buffer or in the buffer that is being
changed using setbufline()?

- Yegappan

This needs a test in src/testdir.  And documentation, of course.

I'm very careful with including something like this.  Currently there is
no code that changes another buffer.  It could break more than you
expect.