On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:14:41PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Benji Fisher wrote:
>
> >      Maps and menus work in much the same way, and when writing a vim
> > script (especially an ftplugin) I like to make a menu item corresponding
> > to each key map that I define.  Unfortunately, there are two ways that
> > maps and menus differ:
> >
> > 1. There is an :amenu command (and also :anoremenu), but there is no
> > :amap command (nor :anoremap).
> >
> > 2. I can make buffer-local maps with :map <buffer>, but :menu <buffer>
> > does not work.
> >
> >      Both of these shortcomings can be overcome with scripting, but it
> > would be more convenient and more consistent if :amap and :menu <buffer>
> > were both implemented.
>
> Both are in the todo list.

     I neglected to check.  Maybe I need to update my todo list:  I see
a remark about buffer-local menus, but nothing about :amap.

> ":amap" would not be terrible difficult to implement.
>
> buffer-local menus are complicated.  What about menus that are not for
> the current buffer, hide them?  Would make jumping between buffers very
> slow.

     I will try deleting and refreshing them with autocommands and see
how slow it is.  Off hand, I would say hide them:  I do not want to
waste menu space on TeX-related items when I am editing another file
type.

                                        --Benji Fisher