On 2007-02-28, Frodak Baksik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > On 2007-02-15, Frodak Baksik wrote:
> >
> > > Here are all the changes in a single patch.
> > > I'm also posting this to the cygwin-apps mailing list, so if anyone
> > > over there could try it out would be nice.
> >
> > I just applied this patch to the latest Cygwin vim source package,
> > vim-7.0.122-1, and configured it with
> >
> >     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --without-x --enable-gui=no
> >
> > However, after successfully building a number of .o files, make
> > fails as follows:
> >
> >     $ make
> >     Starting make in the src directory.
> >     If there are problems, cd to the src directory and run make there
> >     cd src && make first
> >     make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/vim-7.0.122-1/src'
> >     make[1]: *** No rule to make target `proto/winclip.pro', needed by
> >     `objects/winclip.o'.  Stop.
> >     make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/vim-7.0.122-1/src'
> >     make: *** [first] Error 2
> >
> > I'm sorry I don't have time to look into it further before I leave
> > for the day.  I hope it's obvious to someone what I've done wrong.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gary
> >

> The problem appears to be with applying the patch.  The file
> proto/winclip.pro should have been created by the patch command.  I've
> just reinstalled fresh cygwin sources vim-7.0.122-1.  Here is the
> command and output I get when applying the patch.

The patch appeared to apply correctly except for auto/configure,
which I was able to resolve, but not the way I should have.  The way
I applied the patch, which was to execute

    patch < vim_cygwin_clip_patch_2007-02-13.diff

in the /usr/src/vim-7.0.122-1/src directory, resulted in winclip.pro
being created in that directory instead of in the proto
subdirectory.

> $ pwd
> /usr/src/vim-7.0.122-1/src
>
> $ patch -p0 < /usr/src/vim_cygwin_clip_patch_2007-02-13.diff
> patching file term.c
[...]
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 759 (offset -5 lines).

Using "-p0" worked _much_ better, with the same results as yours.  I
thought it was probably something stupid like that.  Thank you very
much.

> I used the same configuration in your email and didn't have any issues.
>
> BTW, This is the configuration I normally use for compiling vim on
> cygwin.  This is based upon the configuration options on the cygwin
> website and the feature set that vim is normally compiled with.
>
> ./configure \
> --prefix=/usr \
> --sysconfdir=/etc \
> --libexecdir=/usr/sbin \
> --localstatedir=/var \
> --datadir=/usr/share \
> --mandir=/usr/share/man \
> --infodir=/usr/share/info \
> --with-features=huge \
> --without-x --enable-gui=no

I wanted to keep the patched version separate from the official
Cygwin version for comparison and backup in case I encountered any
problems with the patched version.

'make' and 'make install' worked fine, but the resulting vim didn't
use color in an rxvt.  I ran configure again, this time including
"--with-features=huge":

    ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr/local \
    --with-features=huge \
    --without-x --enable-gui=no

However, I still don't see any color and there are still differences
in :version between the original Cygwin vim and this patched
version:

    $ diff vim_version_cygwin vim_version_patched_huge
    1c1
    < VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Oct 10 2006 10:07:11)
    ---
    > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Feb 28 2007 15:32:26)
    3c3
    < Compiled by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ---
    > Compiled by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    13c13
    < -clipboard
    ---
    > +clipboard
    36c36
    < +gettext
    ---
    > -gettext
    84c84
    < +terminfo
    ---
    > -terminfo
    109c109
    <   fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
    ---
    >   fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
    111c111
    < Linking: gcc   -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe       -lncurses  -liconv
-lintl
    ---
    > Linking: gcc   -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe       -ltermcap  -liconv

(I edited the outputs of :version to put each feature on a separate
line.)

":set termcap" shows "t_Co=8" in the original Cygwin vim and "t_Co="
in the patched version.

It appears that I may need to install the ncurses package and
reconfigure vim in order to get color.  I don't know how to account
for the other differences.  (I wish there was a
/usr/share/doc/vim-7.0.122-1/README or a
/usr/src/vim-7.0.122-1/README_cygwin.txt that explained how the
"official" Cygwin vim was built and a list of other packages
needed.)

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Mobile Broadband Division