2007/3/2, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
I can map <Char-0x2019> but I cannot really test that it works (I can just see
that it is represented correctly in the list of mappings), because that
character is not on my keyboard.

You do not need to type this character to test the mapping, you can
simply paste it with the mouse, while being in Insert mode. (By the
way, there is a useful package in Debian simply called "unicode" which
allows to look up easily for unicode characters from the shell
prompt.)

U+2019 is encoded as E2 80 99 while U+2200 is E2 88 80. I wonder if the
presence of a 0x80 in the middle might cause a bug in gvim.

The narrow no-break space is e2 80 af ; the en-dash, e2 80 93 ; the
em-dash, e2 80 94 ; the hyphen, e2 80 90 ; and the mapping of these
characters fails, so you might have a valid explanation, Tony.

Did you try the code snippet in my previous post?

Yes. It did not report any error, the apostrophe appears in the list
of mappings but when I type it, it is not replaced with "foo".

Thanks
Thomas