On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 12:03 +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > > vim doesn't use threads at the moment, and Bram seems to be reluctant
> > > to include threads for various reasons.
>
> > I too agree, threading might complicate everything ( and a rather
> > difficult programing model )...
>
> Again, multithreading as in parallel, as in being able to be in
> multiple states at once.  Not pthreads or anything like that.  Sorry
> about confusion.  But this may also indicate that more knowledge about
> what you're actually about to undertake may be necessary before
> setting out.  No offense intended, but the area of formal languages
> (that includes regular expressions, regular languages, pattern
> matching, and finite automata) isn't exactly the easiest of topics in
> computer science, and having a good understanding of this topic really
> is necessary to work on things like that discussed in this thread; so
> I'd recommend seeing to it that you have the theory nailed down before
> writing code or anything like that.

Nicolai,

Yes i do understand your point. I understood what you said about being
in several states at once, but i was referring to nicolas's comments.
Nevertheless, I must accept that i'm still a newbie to this subject
area. Anyway, that's the challenge i want to take, i've been into OOP
and java for sometime but now my interests are in compiler theory and
operating systems ( I think they are more challenging ).

As you said, I have to cover a lot of grounds. My intention was to
gather information on the depth of the subject and determine whether
it's doable before applying to it.

I will try my best to gain a foothold on the subject before 24th march
( final date for applications ).

BTW, your comments are very much appreciated, no offense taken. :)

- Asiri