On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:10:20 -0500
Robert Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > On 4/23/07, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> wish: allow a: in the function definition line:
> >>       function foo(a:line1, a:line2)
> >> This is currently not allowed. But it seems logical to allow it.
> >
> > Why should it be?  Extra typing?
> >
> > Counterwish: implement better semantics for VimScript so that the
> > lookup order of variables alleviates the need for explicit
> > environments.  Yes, this will break backwards compatibility.  Tough.
> >
> >  nikolai
> >
> Counterwish #2: Dump VimScript and replace it with EMCAScript (maybe
> using SpiderMonkey) so that people don't need to learn a new language
> just to change the color scheme or keyboard mappings. Yes, this will
> break backwards compatibility. Tough.

This sounds like flame bait, and it seems that an unusually high
number of very decent folks have taken it.  Healthy discussion is all
well and good, but I think if you're really interested in implementing
extensions to Vim in ECMAScript, you should build an interface like
those that already exist for Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.  I know that
ECMAScript is fairly popular, so finding some help along the way
shouldn't be too difficult.  If it's a feature you honestly want, go
for it.  When its working well enough, submit it for consideration to
be included into the official Vim release.  But for starters, I'd
recommend taking a look at src/if_python.c and src/if_ruby.c to see how
this has been done with other languages.

As for eliminating Vim script, I think choice is a good thing, and Vim
script is very well suited to programming the Vim editor.  If you can
write an interface for ECMAScript, you don't need to worry about Vim
script.  You can write in the language you like, and those who still
favor Vim script can continue to use it.  Live and let live.

--
Taylor Venable
[EMAIL PROTECTED]