Announcement: I've tentatively uploaded my current vim binary. Here are the details and caveats:

- ":version" output is at http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/version.txt -- check this first before you attempt to download the executable. - executable is at http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vim -- to download it, you will probably have to click right on this link, then "Save Link Target As..." or whatever your mailer calls it. - This is a "huge" Linux/i86 version with GTK2/Gnome GUI and support for perl, python, ruby and tcl, compiled on openSUSE 10.2. If you think it's overly bloated (and you quite well may), well, compile your own then: see e.g. my "how-to" page http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm - I compiled it about one and a half hours ago to the latest patchlevel (7.0.235), plus one additional (unnumbered) patch by Bram Moolenaar to fix the 'maxmemtot' default value. - This is a "naked" executable with no runtime files, no message translations and no ancillary programs (such as xxd). You will have to get all that from a different source such as ftp.vim.org, and keep them up-to-date yourself. This executable expects to find its runtime files starting at the default location, /usr/local/share/vim/vim70 - GNOME support, which is included, is *not* recommended by Bram. Warnings in the compilation of gui_gtk_x11.c seem to indicate that there "might" be problems with message translations, especially if you change the 'encoding' setting in your vimrc. - It works on my machine with the software I have installed. I don't know if it will work on yours, so: - you may want to keep (under another name or path) a backup Vim executable which you got somewhere else, at least until you've verified that you can use this one. - I don't know exactly how much your system must resemble mine in order to be able to run this executable. I think the GUI won't run without GTK2 and Gnome2, and I don't know if this editor version will load without perl, python, ruby and tcl. You may want to check the bottom part of my ":version" text for other library names. - if it doesn't work for you, and you cannot make it work by (for instance) installing missing libraries, you may want to discuss symptoms with me, either on the vim-dev list if you think it's on-topic for the list, or by private mail. In the latter case, please use an explicit "Subject" line because if I don't recognise an email's Subject I treat it as spam; and I get a lot of spam.

Happy Vimming!
Tony.
--
For years a secret shame destroyed my peace --
I'd not read Eliot, Auden or MacNiece.