Gary Johnson wrote:
On 2007-05-05, "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.1a BETA
This is a BETA release of Vim 7.1.  It consists of Vim 7.0 plus all
patches and updated runtime files.
I expect this to be stable, since the patches have been used by many
people already.  This BETA is mainly to check that the files has been
setup properly.  It's been almost a year since the last one!
Please report every problem you find!  It will only be a few days until
the 7.1 release, so please take a little time right now to check it out.
Once you have installed Vim 7.1a BETA you can find details about the
changes since Vim 7.0 with ":help version-7.1".
 [...]

 Compiles as a breeze :-).

Yes indeed. I've compiled it so far on SunOS 5.8 and HP-UX 10.20. I may try Cygwin if I'm feeling adventurous enough. I've never done that except from Cygwin sources.

The binary is now in /usr/local/vim (but we still have /usr/local/vim70 as a backup); the runtime files go in /usr/local/vim/vim71a and below, where the binary will find them with no problem (and the 7.0 runtime files in /usr/local/vim/vim70 [or wherever] aren't touched).

I think some directories were omitted from the paths in that paragraph and that it should read:

The binary is now in /usr/local/bin/vim (but we still have /usr/local/bin/vim70 as a backup); the runtime files go in /usr/local/share/vim/vim71a and below, where the binary will find them with no problem (and the 7.0 runtime files in /usr/local/share/vim/vim70 [or wherever] aren't touched).

er, yes. I should have reread it once more.

(Warning: In the "ln" command as used here, the target name comes before the link name. I find this counter-intuitive.)

It's not just me then. I have to think carefully about that every time I use ln.

Regards,
Gary

Yes. When linking to the same name in a different directory, I find it easier to omit the link name altogether, as shown for matchit.txt

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"He was a modest, good-humored boy.  It was Oxford that made him
insufferable."