On Aug 16, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Till Maas wrote:

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 04:44:41PM -0400, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that spell was being set in my .vimrc
file. I've tried creating the tex.vim file and adding the suggested
line setlocal spell. What I just discovered is that the spell
underlining works for certain tex files but not others! That's very
strange. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Someone might help you a lot easier, if you provide an minimal example
tex file for which the spell checking does not work.

Well, this was an interesting exercise! It seems that the spell check only works when certain environments and commands are used. For example, the spell check works fine when the \begin{document} and \end{document} commands are present. It also works when the \section{...} and \chapter{...} commands are present. However, it does not work when there is, for example, only \begin{theorem} or \end{theorem} commands present. I use a lot of \include and \input commands in my tex documents, so, naturally, many files will not have \section, \chapter, or \begin{document}...\end{document} commands. I've attached two minimal sample tex files to this email. The first tex file illistrates a situations where the spell check *does not* work. The second illustrates a situation where the spell check *does* work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!