No, I don't think the problem is typical for Germany.
I can tell you that is also typical for my country and i suspect
i might by typical for the whole globalized IT.

I sympathy with you because i've experienced such problems at work too.

You have to either find some hacekers' job (difficult) or redefine your work
into goal/responsibility orientated mode ie you are evaluated by your results
and time you've achieved them.
in this way the means you're using (VIM, etc) ought not to matter for your
manager as gets good quality in good time. this also puts 'the conservatists'
in difficult position as they will find it hard to catch you up. So you can at
least ask for a raise :)

good luck and stay cool
warm regards

zbigniew

Dnia 10-04-2006 o godz. 21:14 Bertram Scharpf napisaƂ(a):
> Hi,
>

> first thank you all very much for the backings.  I'm on the
> way losing trust in my own mind.
>
> Could this be normal?  I've been in two jobs during the past
> year and not one of these well-paid colleagues calling
> themselves degreed software engineers does even know about
> Vim (neither Emacs).  None of them is having Linux at home.
> Extrapolating from this I don't expect my next job being
> much better.
>
> Is this a problem typical to Germany?
>
> Am Montag, 10.  Apr 2006, 08:19:54 +0100 schrieb Matthew Winn:
> > On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:43:35PM +0200, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > > Therefore I like to ask vice versa: Is there anywhere
> > > on the web a job board for Vimmers? I'm thinking of
> > > something like <http://jobs.rubynow.com>.
> >
> > Does it make sense to have jobs for Vimmers?  An editor is just a tool
> > used to do a job.  It's not a job in itself.
>
> I just try to sieve against those who don't even use one or
> another reasonable tool.
>
> Bertram
>

> --
> Bertram Scharpf