On 4/15/06, Benjamin Esham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2006, at 9:02 AM, Peter Slizik wrote:
>
> >> BTW, there is a trend towards more colorful, more
> >> playful icons. I dislike this trend, because most of
> >> those icons are much less legible than the icons
> >> having been replaced.
> >
> > Yes, that's true.  Maybe adding some light glow, color transition,
> > or shadow
> > effects would help to make the logo more 'shiny'. But it depends on
> > personal
> > taste, of course.
>
> Personally, I *love* Matthew Webb's OS X versions of the Vim logo:
>
>    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~mtwebb/vim_icon/vim_icons.html
>
> Especially the "matte" version.  It's the same design as the current
> logo, but without the "im" text and with some subtle gradients and
> brushed-metal effects.
>
> Does anyone think that it would be unreasonable to set this as the
> default icon for Mac OS X builds of Vim?  It certainly blends better
> with the other apps' icons than the logo we have now (IMO).
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Benjamin D. Esham
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://bdesham.net  |  AIM: bdesham128
> Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia  •  http://en.wikipedia.org

Actually I use Matthew's icon in Yahoo! Widget's Zoomy Bar
<URL:http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/view.php?widget=38873>. All the
icon's there have the shiny look (and have no additional letters).

However, I think it is one special incarnation of the Vim icon, and
should not be regarded a universal solution. The real look depends on
the look and feel of a specific OS (or distribution). If all the other
icons are not shiny, a shiny Vim icon will look strange indeed. And
there are more styles than being shiny (OSX-like)....

Wu Yongwei