On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 at 5:08pm, Eric Arnold wrote:

> This is because you are ignoring the "filetype" event.
>
> Try a "doautoall FileType" when you're done.

Thanks, this means I can use :bufdo doautocmd FileType syntax, because I
also use :windo and :argdo in place of :bufdo.

I still wonder why the subsequent opening of the buffers doesn't set
syntax just like it should while opening any buffer. There is obviously
some state that is left over from the time the buffer is loaded using
eventignore=all. I don't know which event is responsible for loading the
syntax highlighting (wasn't obvious from the files under vim directory),
but I believe that event is not getting triggered,  and I don't see a
reason why it shouldn't (since 'eventignore' is subsequently changed to
empty string). This could very well be a bug which is why I want to
understand this.

--
Thanks,
Hari