You probably need to give your system specs.  The WinXP gvim does
remember the last directory used.  I don't know how to change the
behavior of the default GUI open button, but you can create your own
GUI buttons using Vim scripts.

As a suggestion, you might consider using the  :  prompt to open new
files.   :e  and  :cd  , combined with the ^D and <TAB> autocomplete
keys, are much faster.

I don't know how others feel about the GUI buttons, but I consider
them as an occasional convenience and as a way to transition into
using Vim, and aren't intended for hardcore Vimming.  If you really
want to start cooking with gas, you'll rarely touch the mouse once
inside Vim.

P.s.  It doesn't default to $HOME, as far as I can tell, but the
directory you started gvim in.