On 2006-05-04, Jack Donohue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > :v (and :g) made my day..!
>
> Yes, I use this a lot if I just want to filter out a set of lines, or see
> only lines containing some text (like the old XEDIT command).  But what I'd
> really like to to is continue editing in this view and not lose all the
> hidden lines, more like folding.  I expect folding can do this, but I've
> never gotten it to work and it seems pretty cumbersome.  I'm looking for a
> simple solution involving maybe a couple of command I can make a map for.
>
> I guess I'm looking for a g or v command that folds the lines instead of
> actually deleting them.

The basic technique of using folding for this is this:

    set foldmethod=expr
    set foldexpr=getline(v:lnum)=~'text to be folded'

To close all the folds, you can

    set foldlevel=0

but I usually use zM to close all folds and zR to open all folds.

You could wrap that in a mapping and maybe a function to make it
easier to use.  I usually type it out once, then use the command
line history and editing features to modify the pattern as needed.

See

    :help fold-expr

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Wireless Division