Thanks for the tip Benji, just to make the difference between 'I' and 'A' in blockwise visual mode clear to anyone else who might be reading this and doesn't know, 'I' will always insert in the position immediately before the selected block, whilst 'A' will always insert in the position immediately after the selected block and as Benji said, pressing '$' followed by 'A' whilst in blockwise visual mode will insert at the end of each line.
Sorry if no-one else cares....:-)