On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:35:09PM EDT, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2006-05-19, cga2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >      It depends on what you mean by "split the screen."
> >
> > vim vertical split on an xterm.
>
> If the compiled version is plain text, sure.  You could use an
> autocommand with the BufWritePost event that would run the compiler
> on your source file, switch vim windows, delete the existing
> contents, and :read in the compiler output file.

Sounds pretty straight-forward.

> This will work with HTML and with man pages, with some limitations
> on fonts and styles.
>
> > > If you want one window that has vim running in the bottom half and an
> > > HTML browser running in another,
> >
> > yes.. pretty much what I had in mind.. another example: I'm writing a
> > man page and I would like to work on the source in the left vim window
> > and check the rendered man page in the right vim window:
> >
> > 1. I make changes to my man page & save to disk
> > 2. I switch to the other window and hit the "refresh" key
> > 3. Now I can see the results of my changes
> > 4. Back to 1. above etc..
> >
> > In order to do this in vim you would probably need to be able to run a
> > shell in a vim window - doesn't seem to be possible.
>
> You don't need a shell in a window, just do what I suggested above.
> Or use a "refresh" key instead of an autocommand, if you prefer.

Yes, your description of the process is very clear. If I understand
correctly I would just need to direct the output of the compile command
to a temp file and cause vim to re-read it and display the updated
version.

> There is a plugin that lets you read man pages within vim.  You
> could probably use this directly or adapt it to your needs.

I was just going to ask whether you could suggest something comparable
that I could adapt.. :-)

As it happens, the :Man  plugin is one of my favorites.

> > It doesn't have to be html, though. Some very basic markup language
> > that provides headers, paragraphs, lists, and tables and that could be
> > easily translated to html, pdf, postscript, and simple text would be
> > well-adapted to my needs.
> >
> > No idea if linux has such a thing.
>
> Well, there is nroff.

I have used it once in the past to write a test man page. Just taking
a look at how things work. And I don't remember running into any
problems.

> Man pages are actually written using nroff macros.  At least one
> implementation of the man command uses the following to format the
> pages it finds:
>
>     tbl -TX <file name> | neqn | nroff -man | col -x

I don't remember a man page that has a table in it. I mean a table that
actually visualizes the cells with box drawing characters.

> The tbl command is used to format tables and the neqn command is used
> to format equations.
>
> Nroff does some things really well and some things not so well.  I
> think w3m does a better job of creating tables from HTML than tbl and
> nroff do from their source code.

I use mostly elinks and it also does a very good job of rendering HTML
tables.

> Then there's latex, which I know nothing about other than it is
> supposedly a very nice typesetting language for everything from short
> letters to long dissertations and books.  A lot of people swear by it.

Yes, I've used LyX in the past and it's rather nice. Don't know if
latex is quite suitable for the small documentation tasks I have in
mind but from what I have heard it's probably worth the effort.

> HTH, Gary

Very much so.

Thanks,

cga