In a Vim7 session, after working for sometime, I started getting a weird
error, when one of my plugins did the below:

:put=""

and the error was:

E121: Undefined variable: retVal
E15: Invalid expression: retVal

After making sure that
- there are no CursorMoved and CursorMovedI events that could fire
  a side effect causing this error
- the above command gives the same error even when executed
  standalone
- I couldn't reproduce it in a fresh vim session (with the same
  configuration).

I tried a couple of variations of the put command by itself, and the
below worked:

:let a=""
:put =a

What was amazing is that even the original command (and my plugin)
started working fine after this. This was like Vim left an internal flag
causing the error, which got clealed by a successful execution of the
command, subsequently.

I don't have a reproducible case, but Bram or someone who is familiar
with the code might make out something.

--
Thanks,
Hari