Hello Vim List

I have a similar problem with the final vim 7.0, if I try to compile
it with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition. I don't get a
runtime error, but simply get no "Edit with vim ..." context menu
entries when I right-click on any file.

>>> When I right click on a file in explorer I get an MSVC Runtime error
>>> dialog:
>>>
>> msvcr80.dll is the problem, but it isn't that the dll is missing,
>> gvimext.dll loads it from c:\windows\system32.  The problem is that
>> gvimext.dll is loading the dll incorrectly (according to the error
>> dialog). Obviously the source for gvimext.dll hasn't changed in a
>> while, but I believe this means that the gvimext.dll can't be built
>> against VC 8.0 until this problem is resolved. :/
>>
> Try copying src\GvimExt\gvimext.dll.manifest to wherever you've placed
> gvimext.dll.

This was the first thing I tried. Then I checked with "Dependency
Walker" and saw that MSVCR80.DLL was now found. But in spite of
that: I got no context menus.

Then I tried

mt -outputresource:gvimext.dll -manifest gvimext.dll.manifest

to include the dll into the resources of gvimext.dll. That helped
nothing.

Then I tried to add a <file></file> session to gvimext.dll.manifest:

<file name="gvimext.dll">
  <comClass
    description="VIM Editor Context Menu Handler"
    clsid="{51EEE242-AD87-11d3-9C1E-0090278BBD99}"
    threadingModel="Apartment"/>
</file>

Helped nothing, independent of running mt.exe or not.

I am searching for solutions for days now, browsed all the msdn
library, but found nothing: gvimext.dll doesn't work when linked
against MSVCR80.DLL with Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition.

The only workaround is: I have to link gvimext.dll statically
against the C runtime library. Then, gvimext.dll needs about five
times more space on disk, but like that the context menu entries
appear although I hardly can't believe it any more %-]

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints!

With best regards

Mathias