I just installed Vim 7 and am attempting to use the new omni completion
feature.  However, it's not working by default; do I have to do something
special to set it up?

":h new-omni-completion" states that "The 'omnifunc' option is set by
filetype plugins to define the function that figures out the completion."
Contrariwise, when I open a .js file or .html file, which should have
completion functions defined, the 'omnifunc' option is always empty.

How can I get omni completion working automatically when a file is loaded?