On 6/15/06, Sylvain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I get a line break at the front.  You don't say if you're using
> setline() or what.  Both setline() and append() will use the literal
> values for \r and \n.  As far as I know, the only way to get it to use
> them as line breaks is to use some form of "put" (after deleting the
> existing text, of course).
> If there's a better way, I'd like to hear it, as this has always been
> an annoyance for me also.
Yes !! You found my problem :-)
I'm using setline() function to replace the line..so I will delete it before
I add mine, it's not very elegant so if anyone has a better way, I will take
it also :-)

I'm now using lists, everywhere I can, in preference to concatinated
strings with newline separators.  I usually will  split()   any such
strings I find into a list for easier manipulation.   I think this is
satisfactorily elegant, and it sidesteps all the usual pitfalls trying
to handle line breaks manually.