I have discovered some interesting additional information about this problem:

- The problem occurs with my mappings, e.g.:
    :map ]v *
    :map ]t ^t
  etc.

- The problem does NOT occur with the following mappings:
    :map aa *
    :map )V *
  I can type this as fast as I want and it jumps to the
  next occurance of the word under the cursor

I tried turning off showmatch, but it didn't help.
Is there something special about [ and ]?

I'm currently runnig version 6.3.84