Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
Dnia piątek, 16 czerwca 2006 13:34, Bram Moolenaar napisał:
I see the problem.  I'll put it in the todo list.

Sub-problem with ß. In latin2 'encoding' (where ß also exists) it isn't
changed to SS. I think behaviour should be the same for all encodings.

m.

In UTF-8 encoding, ~ over an ß in Vim doesn't change it, which IMHO is an error.

In a Swiss locale (including Liechtenstein), the eszet "ß" is not used. I don't know if this is related to what you're saying about latin1 vs. latin2.

In other German-language locales:

- ss may be used instead of ß if the latter is unavailable, e.g., on a typewriter with no ß glyph
- the uppercase form of ß is SS
- the lowercase form of SS is ß after a long vowel, ss otherwise according to the latest -- and still controversial -- reform of German orthography, which is supposed to be official since 1 August 1998 and mandatory starting 1 August 2006. I've heard that many German speakers and German-language publishers still cling to the "older" spelling (established ca. 1901).

IIUC, the uppercase form of ß was SZ before that "older" reform; hence the name "eszet". In Fraktur or black-letter fonts, the ß glyph is a ligature consisting of a long s and a z, instead of long s + short s as in Roman fonts. (The "long s" looks like an f without the horizontal bar.)