Hi Yakov,

On 6/18/06, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/18/06, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
> > Hi Yakov,
> >
> > On 6/18/06, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> How can I determine [in vim function] that my current line
> >> number corresponds to the definition of tag X ?
> >>
> >> Do I need to parse tags-file for that, or I can get it using
> >> existing vim functions ?
> >>

> > You need to parse the tags file and use the line numbers stored
> > in the tags file for each tag. If the tags file is sorted, then you can
> > do a binary search. Otherwise you have to do a linear search.
> >
> > You can look at the Tlist_Find_Nearest_Tag_Idx() function in
> > the taglist plugin for an example.
> >
> > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=273
> >
> > - Yegappan
> >

> The tags file doesn't always have line numbers in it. In many cases
> (such as the Vim help tags files) it has a search command instead.
>
> But what was Yakov asking? "I am moving the cursor, have I arrived at
> the definition for tag foobar?" or "Is there a tag definition, and which
> one, on the current cursor line?" ?

Here is what I'm asknig. I have tag name, X. I want to remap key C-]
so that it remembers tag name in some variable b:tag. The I want some other
mapping that will bring me to *next* definition of "last C-]ed" tag.

The ":tnext" command already supports this and jumps to the next
matching tag definition.

You can use the following commands to browse through multiple
matching tags:

    :tnext
    :tprevious
    :tfirst
    :tlast
    :tselect
    :tjump
    :ltag

- Yegappan

I thought the logic can be "check if we are already at some definition of
tag b:tag". If we are, then just to the next definition. But maybe it's not
needed, [to knwo whether we are at the definion", if the next-tag-def
mapping will remember the definition number. Yes, in fact that's all
that's needed. I think I have everything in palce to create the
next-tag-definition mappnig.

Yakov