Thanks Gerald, and others - think I might settle for
a) keeping expandtab enabled,
b) remap <tab> to insert a real tab, ie,   imap <tab>  ^Q^I
(^Q instead of ^V since for better and worse I use mswin.vim on windows)
c) "set list" to be able to see the tab characters, thus also setting listchars
like
set listchars+=tab:>_

The listchars isn't hugely necessary since the syntax highlighting should point
out any places I failed to tab where I should have, but it can't hurt either.

Thanks again,
John