Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

> > > The previous time I got E788 was in my FileChangedShell handler. Prior
> > > to 7.0, since there was no v:fcs_reason support, I had to jump to the
> > > buffer for which the event got triggered and conditionally reload the
> > > buffer, but now this is no longer allowed. The reason I think this is
> > > too restrictive is that the doc suggests that FileChangedShell is
> > > allowed to reload related buffers, if you know what you are doing, but
> > > you can't reload buffer without first switching to it (and, to repeat,
> > > this causes E788).
> >
> > Vim has to be very careful.  There have been several problems and
> > crashes caused by allowing too much in autocommands.  I rather stay on
> > the safe side.
>
> Does this mean, the documentation will be updated as well? As I said,
> the documentation on FileChangedShell suggests that the user can do
> something that is no longer possible in Vim7. I am talking specifically
> about this:
>

>                               This is useful for reloading related buffers
>                               which are affected by a single command.
> <<<<
>
> This is not possible anymore (or am I missing something?).

This remark is indeed confusing.  You can still reload all buffers that
are changed, but only one by one.  But you can only reload the current
buffer.  Hmm, if another buffer is changed there must be some way to
reload it, since the changed buffer may differ from the current buffer.

--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.