On 6/20/06, Max Dyckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Can anyone tell me why anyone cares about the styles of comments? I
understand that it is important to adhere to standards, but I can't work
out why comments need to be in one of the two forms. Why not just use //
for inline comments and /**/ for function/block comments?

Because c89 does not have //-comments. This rule you suggested
is fine for c99, but it does not work for c89.

The modified form of your rule would be "For c89, always use /**/.
For c99, use // for ..., and /**/ for ...".

But then I need the script to know c89 from c99.

Yakov