Bernat Tallaferro wrote:
On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 00:03 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

Hm. With which pattern are you invoking this command? And what is the current directory? (use the ":pwd" command if you arren't sure.)

I'm on /home/dpm/project/src, editing myfile.c.
I don't know whether this is relevant, but I usually start editing files
with gvim by right-clicking on them on the file manager and choosing
"Edit with GVim" (I'm using Nautilus on GNOME). The only side-effect of
this, is that the pwd is always set to /home/dpm, so I usually have to
do an :lcd %:h if I need to do any file-related stuff.

So, to recap:

* My .vimrc contains this:
        command! VimGrep -nargs=1 -bar -bang
        \       vimgrep<bang> <args> ../inc/*.h ../src/*.c

(I guess that ../src/*.c should simply be *.c, but changing that does
not solve the issue)

I put it that way so as to get to the right directory even after ":cd ../inc".

* pwd returns /home/dpm/project/src

* It doesn't matter which pattern I use, I always get the "E488:
Trailing characters" whenever I execute:

:VimGrep pattern

as an example, the last pattern I used was:

:VimGrep static

Thanks for your help (and your patience).

Oh, and I got back to ":help :command" for a double-check. The new command name must go after the options:

         command! -nargs=1 -bar -bang VimGrep
         \       vimgrep<bang> <args> ../inc/*.h ../src/*.c

Best regards,
Tony