Rick Hogg wrote:
Tony,
I've unpackaged all three archives, so now the
contents of the directory they are in looks contains
these files: vim70, vim70 2, and vim70 3.  vim70 is
the regular Unix directory, 2 is extra, and 3 is
language.  Am I supposed to put 2 and 3 into the
original?  Am I supposed to move the contents of each
/src directory into the one in the Unix archive?

Thanks

You should have unpacked all three archives on top of each other into the same directory, as explained in my HowTo pages (see URLs quoted at the bottom of this post). Example (for Unix/Linux):

        ... download all 3 archives, then ...
        mkdir -pv ~/.build/vim
        bunzip2 -vf vim-7*.bz2
        gunzip -vf vim-7*.gz
        for f in vim-7*.tar ; do tar -xvC ~/.build/vim -f $f ; done
        cd ~/.build/vim/vim70
        mkdir patches
        cd patches
        ftp
                ... etc ... (download the patches)
                quit
        cd ..
        patch -p0 < patches/7.0.001
        patch -p0 < patches/7.0.002
        ... etc ...
        patch -p0 < patches/7.0.032
        vim -o myenviro src/Makefile
        source myenviro
        make > make.log
        src/vim --version
        make install >> make.log

For Windows, compilation is done with one of several makefiles (Make-*.mak) in vim70/src depending on which compiler you're using, so after patching the details are different. See my W32 HowTo for details.

--- "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Rick Hogg wrote:
Hello,

VIM 7 currently has 22 patches.  I just installed
7.0
yesterday, and now I'd like to install the
patches.
How might I go about doing that?

Thanks,
Rick

protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

These patches are source patches only.

1) Get the full sources into some "development"
directory structure different than $VIM/. These sources consist of
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.0.tar.bz2

http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-7.0-extra.tar.gz
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-7.0-lang.tar.gz
Notes:
   a) Get the .bz2 archive from the unix/ directory,
even if you run on Windows or Mac. Whatever non-Unix sources you might need are in the other two archives.
   b) I recommend getting all three archives, even
on Unix. This way you won't get "file not found" errors in patch, and you will have the sources you need even if your feature list is different than Bram's (e.g., if you use +sniff).
   c) On Windows, common archive handlers such as
WinZip don't know about the .bz2 format. You will need a separate bunzip2 program to handle it.
2) cd to the top of that structure (a directory
named <something>/vim70 with a subdir named src in it
3) mkdir patches
4) Download everything in
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.0/ into this newly-created "patches" subdirectory
5)
        patch -p0 < patches/7.0.001
        patch -p0 < patches/7.0.002
        patch -p0 < patches/7.0.022

(On Windows, be sure you use the Cygwin version of
the "patch" program; most other versions are known to choke on some or all of the "official" Vim patches.)
6) Compile Vim from your newly patched sources.
7) Check that your compile produced a working
executable with the options you want:
        src/vim --version
and/or
        src/gvim --version
8) Install the results of your compile to
$VIMRUNTIME and (on Unix) to some directory in the $PATH

For details, see:

http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm
(for Windows)

http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm