"A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I don't know Emacs, but Vim comes bundled with a number of "standard"
> colorschemes (in $VIMRUNTIME/colors). Some are light, others are
> dark. Try them out (using ":colorscheme <name>", where <name> is the
> filename without the .vim extension), maybe you'll find one you
> like. Then if you do, you can apply it wherever you use Vim.

Hehe... this is good.  I've never really looked in those *.vim files
or paid any attention to them.  But the one in there called `elflord'
is the very fellow `Donavon' I swiped that scheme from 6 yrs ago....

I can just remove all the `hi' stuff...

But I also see now that simply setting:
  set background=dark
gives me a very usable color scheme...
It looks very similar to the `elflord' one but I think its `koehler'.

So I can forget `hi' settings and hope the remote machines have all
those color schemes too.