On 7/7/06, Chris Sutcliffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Using spell check in a terminal window hightlights some words with a
bright green background and white text.  I find this hard to read (I'm
using a dark background and I have set background=dark in my .vimrc).
Is it possible to override the the spell check color scheme, and if
so, can someone please point me in the direction of what I need to
look at?

You need to define following highlighting groups:
    SpellBad
    SpellCap
    SpellRare
    SpellLocal
For example, in my setup SpellBad is defined as
SpellBad       xxx term=reverse ctermbg=1 gui=undercurl guisp=Red
-- shows as gray on red background

To learn how to write your own :highlight commands
1) :highlight              - instructive, shows existing highlight groups
   :hi
2) :help :hi
3) To check how Spell-related groups are defined:
  :hi SpellBad
   :hi SpellCap
   :hi SpellRare
   :hi SpellLocal