Actually, it turns out that Yakov's suggestion was correct.

When I re-entered vim subsequently the problem was solved. The mapping
worked once vim had reset itself.
Thanks!

Eric

On 7/10/06, Luc Hermitte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

* On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 09:06:34PM -0400, Eric Guindon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Turns out that when I type ctl-v + my 'é'-key I get 'é' itself; but I
> don't if I just type the 'é'-key by itself.

Looks like there is a mapping binded to é

Does anything happen when you hit ``é'' ?
The most probable hypothesis is that you have something mapped to <m-i>.
As vim is not able to see the difference between <m-i> and é, you
will not be able to insert é.

Did you look at the result of
    verbose imap é
?