In the end I found the problem - and this did help, but not as I expected.

It was actually in /etc/profile.d/vim.*.  If the uid>100 vi is aliased
to vim (so I get all the nice features) otherwise it's not and I dont.
That's why I sometimes got the nice stuff and sometimes didn't.  RH9
did a simple alias.

Now I know, I can just change it.  But ... why only alias for uid>100?
Maybe they asumed that anyone using uid<0 knows what they are doing
(so types vim not vi) :)

Thanks all the same.